Triplet Princes and a Princess

Triplet Princes and a Princess

Our journey to hearing with Cormac while living our life with triplet boys and a baby girl.







Friday, January 9, 2015

Where have we been?

It is now 2015 and I realize I haven't updated the blog since October.  That is quite a bit of time.  I started this blog to keep everyone up to date on the triplets when they were little.  It was too hard to talk to everyone and having one place to get updates made it easy for all of us.  The blog morphed into Cormac's journey to hearing while living our crazy life.  I think the blog has become more of a journal now.  One of my resolutions for the new year is to update the blog more often.  I want to keep as a memoir and print it for the kids when they are older.  They will have their own book of their life.

I still want to make sure we follow Cormac's journey through life as a deaf kid with cochlear implants.  Sometimes I don't know what to write about him because our lives are just so normal in regards to Cormac.  Trust me, the amazement never wears off.  Daily I am reminded my totally deaf son hears and speaks and listens and plays basketball and soccer and baseball and does gymnastics.

 We have moments when things would be easier if he didn't have cochlear implants but really they are just small things.  Making sure we have tape to secure his ears so they don't fly off at gymnastics or basketball.  Making sure we charge his batteries.  Making sure the FM is up and running daily.  In the big picture these things are so minor.  The important thing is CORMAC doesn't even care about any of these things.  When I see him have to replace his magnets a bunch of times because they fell off while playing ball or doing gymnastics I sometimes think to myself "I wish it wasn't such a pain for him"  Cormac is never upset by it.  It's just part of who he is and what he does.  He has NEVER complained.  Never said "ohh, these magnets keep coming off or I wish they stayed on better".  Not even once has he ever complained.

I am trying to get him to wear some sort of sweatband for basketball but he won't wear it.  He actually refuses.  I won't force him and will continue to tape them to his ears and carry extra tape if it needs to be replaced.  No big deal, right?

I continue to mentor and help those who are starting the journey to hearing with their children.  I find it very rewarding to talk to other parents who are just starting out.  It is a scary time.  It is a confusing time. It is an exciting time.  It is an overwhelming time.  I hope by speaking with them or emailing with them I can make the journey just a little easier.  Let others know just how great life will be with their little bionic baby.  It  might not be the  journey you wanted but once you travel it you wouldn't change it for the world. 

So, Happy New Year!!  I hope to update all the sections of the blog with updates for the New Year.  Lots of changes with Calleigh too.  She continues to be the walking medical mystery.  We are trying out some new therapies and ideas and we will see what the new year brings!

No comments: