Triplet Princes and a Princess

Triplet Princes and a Princess

Our journey to hearing with Cormac while living our life with triplet boys and a baby girl.







Friday, April 24, 2009

Lucky??

Recently, someone referred to my as "lucky". It got me thinking. What does it mean to be lucky in life?

I couldn't get pregnant for almost two years. It was a daily struggle and emotionally draining especially since there was not one reason why we couln't conceive. When I do get pregnant I get pregnant the first try with medication (no IVF) and wind up pregnant with triplets. It was not an enjoyable pregnancy emotionally. Full of what could go wrong and waiting for something to go wrong. BUT we wound up with three perfectly healthy boys. So, lucky, right?

We then find out Cormac is deaf out of nowhere. Now that can't be lucky, right? But we were lucky enough for him to be born in a time where moderen science has changed the lives of deaf people. He has defied every odd and is just your typical more than happy three year old, lucky?

I get pregnant out of nowhere with a fourth baby. We then find out she has a cleft lip (and won't know until she is born if she will be deaf). Once again, not an enjoyable pregnancy emotionally. NOt going to be easy when she is born and has to have surgery at 3 months old BUT we are looking at best case scenario for you lip, lucky?

My Dad just passed away so suddenly at only 66 years old BUT because of him I know what a great man is today. I know the unwavering love of a dedicated father and grandfather. I know the look of pure joy when your father looks at you and your children with so much love in his heart and I am lucky to have experienced it. I also got to enjoy him for 37 years. Yes, I would have loved another 30 or more with him BUT some people don't even get 37 years.

We struggle financially and it's not easy. But I get to stay home and be with my children. I have a husband who works tirelessly to support us. And not once will he ever complain about it. I am lucky to have a husband who is so similar to my father in many ways.

I can name countless people who get pregnant have all healthy children who don't require surgery for implants or for cleft lips. People whose families don't experience tragic losses. But are they the lucky ones? I don't really know. What I really think is it might not have anything to do with luck. It just might be we are all chosen for different reasons. I was given my life because maybe I was the one who could take it in stride. I look at the "bad" things but somehow underneath the bad there seems to be something good that came out of the situation. There are many whose lives are much more difficult and many whose lives are much simpler but I wouldn't change my life because I know it all has a purpose. SOmeday that purpose will be clear.

So, are you one of the "lucky" ones?

5 comments:

Mon said...

I love your post. We too struggled with infertility and becuase of that we're lucky that we are now in the process of adopting (my husband would never agree to it otherwise so thank you infertility cause i always wanted to adopt as well!! we were also unexplained, no reason ever found) The drugs never worked for me, so we moved to IVF and were lucky to got pg the very first time (Im due around the same date as you are, with a girl as wel) We're lucky to have jobs and a small town house and I hope to be lucky and become full time SAHM !! I also have a fundraising store for our adoption and I'm lucky becuase of the economy and weak C$ I get little more then I used to ! Im lucky to be healthy and living in beautiful BC although I miss my native Czech but if we're lucky me and the baby will go for Christmas over there yay !!

Jill said...

Hi Jenifer,
I met you and your wonderful family at family fun night at Summit Speech school. My 5 month old daughter, Samantha has a severe to profound hearing loss and we are on the cochlear implant tract. I've been reading your blog for months and it has not only given me advice but hope. This recent post hit a chord with me. I also believe that we are chosen for reason. We can provide our children with the best care. I believe that God gives us only what we can handle - and what wonderful gifts we have received! Keep on writing!
Thank you,
Jill Gentile

Jill said...

Hi Jenifer,
I met you and your wonderful family at family fun night at Summit Speech school. My 5 month old daughter, Samantha has a severe to profound hearing loss and we are on the cochlear implant tract. I've been reading your blog for months and it has not only given me advice but hope. This recent post hit a chord with me. I also believe that we are chosen for reason. We can provide our children with the best care. I believe that God gives us only what we can handle - and what wonderful gifts we have received! Keep on writing!
Thank you,
Jill Gentile

Melanie said...

Me! Me!

Jennifer said...

Jill
I remember meeting you. Please feel free to contact me if you ever want to talk. I am always available.