Triplet Princes and a Princess

Triplet Princes and a Princess

Our journey to hearing with Cormac while living our life with triplet boys and a baby girl.







Monday, October 25, 2010

Found this...receptive language

While searching heaven and earth to try and find my misplaced passport and social security card I came across a notebook I was keeping for Cormac. It was labeled "receptive" on the front and "expressive" on the back. It lists the dates of when I wrote it down and how far past activation. I forgot I even kept this notebook. How I forgot I don't know but I thought I would share some of it. I have been asked lots of times by Mom's of recently implanted children when he started saying certain things. At this point I can't even remember! Three years later and it seems like a lifetime ago.

Might be boring to read but I want to get it down so I can remember later on.

Cormac had no access to sound prior to activation. He was profound in both ears. As described to me "He couldn't hear a jet engine if he was standing next to it". Hearing aids did not give him any benefit. By the time he was activated he understood a good 200 signs and could do about that many as well. It was easy to confirm he understood a word because he would sign it when we said it.

Activation July 2007
Receptive language 11/2007:

Mom
Dad
Dog
Up
Down
Touchdown
1
2
3
4
5
car
tree
leaf
bear
elmo
train
rabbit
yeah
apple
fork
spoon
cup
raisin
cat
bird
squirrel
cow
chicken
duck
ghost
witch
penguin
turkey
in
open
close
door
window
shirt
shoe
sock
pants
hand
eyes
ears
nose
teeth
toe
foot
leg
tongue
head
frog
horse
lion
elephant
hat
coat
bath
water
face
toothbrush
brush
push
pull
monkey
ball
airplane
boat
plate
bus
mile
cracker
cookie
banana
truck
moon
microwave
bike
bye bye
hi
grandma
meema
pop pop
grandpa
sun
football
owie
baby
doll
sleep
pumpkin
glasses
shark
snake
tray
eat
drink
circle
sheep
A
B
C
No
yes
wheel
dance
ring around the rosey
row tow
color
crayon
snow
kiss
knock knock
pat
more
hot
run
stand up
sit down
diaper
poop
P U
give
get me
I love you
shh
fish
book
wash hands
soap
light
waffle
toast
baby signing times
shake
tickle
star
chomp chomp
bounce
chew
open your mouth
so big
all done
take a bite
strawberry
cereal
peek a boo
telephone
flower
bubbles
pig
butterfly
bite
please
thank you
book

I think it's about 160 words. Not too shabby for 4 months post activation! I think he could sign about 85% of the words on this list.

When I thnk back to what he did in such a sort time it is nothing short of a miracle. We are so blessed to live in times of such amazing technology.

I also have his expressive language 4 months post activation. I will do it in the next post.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

WOW WOW WOW. That is quite impressive. How cool that you found it. We had notebooks where we kept track of what time the boys had bottles because it was just easier that way--every feeding for an entire year. I love momentos like that.

The Brights said...

Cormac continues to be amazing!

I love, love, love your header picture! That's the cutest Halloween picture I've ever seen!