Triplet Princes and a Princess

Triplet Princes and a Princess

Our journey to hearing with Cormac while living our life with triplet boys and a baby girl.







Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The New Normal

I have heard this term so much in the last few months in regards to life after Sandy for so many people.  It sort of was getting on my nerves because when I looked around and saw so many people who lost so much and lives were turned upside down it seemed like too much.  Thousands of people are still displaced.  Many don't even know when or if they will be allowed back to their homes.  I just kept thinking "the new normal?" .  There is nothing normal about any of this.  No one should have to experience the aftermath of such a storm.

As a volunteer mentor for Advanced Bionics (Cormac's implant company) I speak to lots of parents of children who are just finding out their child can't hear.  They are in shock.  They are terrified for the future.  They don't know why it's happening to them.  I share my experiences with these families hoping I can help them through this most difficult time.  I tell them it's an amazing journey.  It's a journey one would never choose for their child but once you are on it you would never change it.  This journey is what makes your child who he or she is.  You will meet people you would have never had a chance to meet.  You will experience joy most other parents could never understand.  The first year is overwhelming and it seems like so much is going on. 

BUT do you know what I always tell these families???  I always tell them when I talk about our family?  It might not be normal to others but it just becomes your normal.  Your new normal.... At this point I don't even think of it as our new normal.  It is just our family. Our new normal is just our NORMAL.  If that makes any sense. We are just another family.

My hope for all those whose lives were forever changed by Sandy is that their new normal  becomes just their NORMAL. 

No comments: