The boys currently attend a private Parochial Preschool. They are in PK4 which means next year is Kindergarten. I can't even believe I am typing the word Kindergarten. Now comes the decision of where do they go to school. We have two choices: our public grammar school or they can continue at their private school. I LOVE their school they are attending. I would love for them to continue their education in a Catholic School. Both Frank and I attended Catholic School. But what to do?
What I want is what is best for the kids. Cormac will still need services and receiving services in a private setting is a WHOLE new ballgame once they start Kindergarten. Your home school district is no loger responsible for services. It moves to the county level at that point. I almost feel like I have to choose the lesser of two evils. If that makes any sense at all. I feel like my decision will determine Cormac's future!
I keep remembering his Teacher of the Deaf telling me how well he is doing. And how he won't need many services in the future. I feel like I am not really sure how the private school will do with following an IEP because I was "told "legally they don't HAVE to do it. I was not told this about our school. I have only heard positive about our current school. I have been told they work with the county and will write an IEP.
I think I am going to go to our public school for an IEP for Kindergarten and also have the county write an IEP. Try and see what either has to offer.
I am trying to get in touch with other families who have IEP's in private schools for their children. Anyone know anyone? Please feel free to have them contact me. I have reached out to Summit Speech School and I am confident I will get contacts from them as well as guidance on our decision.
I seriously get sick to my stomach over all of these decisions. Some days I wish we were just your typical family...you know 2.1 kids, no triplets, everyone hearing, no baby who had to suffer for a year...but then we wouldn't be us and I REALLY LOVE OUR FAMILY!