Triplet Princes and a Princess

Triplet Princes and a Princess

Our journey to hearing with Cormac while living our life with triplet boys and a baby girl.







Sunday, March 25, 2012

Reading

Many things have fascinated me in my life as a Mom.  I have to say watching your child learn to read is at the top of my list. 

Cormac has been reading for a long time.  I'd say about a year.  He was an early reader. (Funny thing, I was told deaf children have a harder time learning to read).  Yesterday, I watched as Colin's brain just got it.  He has known all his sight words and has been sounding out words for a while but yesterday the light bulb went off and he read me an entire book.  He was so proud of himself.  His first book was "Henry's first day of Kindergarten". 
Cormac was so cute.  He went and drew him a picture and wrote him a note saying "Good job". 
Ciaran isn't reading yet but he is doing awesome.  Ciaran is more of a math kid.  He gets easily frustrated when trying to read.  That said, he knows lots of his sight words and is just starting to try and sound them out.  Give Ciaran a computer or math and he is a whiz.  Last night after Colin read the book Ciaran came and got me and asked me to go in my room with him and let him read a book.  It's really the first time he has shown enthusiasm towards learning to read.  And you know what??  He did a great job.  He recognized all the sight words in the book and tried sounding out the big words.  He was able to get lots of them.  I think the competition between him and Colin is quite the motivator!  He wasn't competitive with Cormac when he started reading because it was so long ago he didn't really care!

I honestly feel like all the work we have done in our house and our focus on language has really given the kids a jump start.  I am very proud of them.  I feel like this is a big hurdle we have jumped.

No comments: