Triplet Princes and a Princess

Triplet Princes and a Princess

Our journey to hearing with Cormac while living our life with triplet boys and a baby girl.







Thursday, September 6, 2012

1st Grade

Not sure when it happened or how it happened but my babies started 1st grade on Wednesday! It seems like yesterday I was bringing them home from the hospital.  The phrase "the days are long but the years short" is so true. 

The boys were all pretty excited to go to school.  We had a meet and greet on Tuesday.  It was basically just to meet the teacher and let them see their classroom.  I took this opportunity to show their new teacher the FM system.  This is her first experience with the FM.  I also prepared binders for both Cormac and Ciaran.  They had information on their hearing history along with tips on teaching a child with hearing loss. 

At the meet and greet we were able to see the boys' classroom for the first time.  They loved finding their seats and seeing who would be next to them.  The boys are all in the same class but they don't sit anywhere near each other.   I also love how the desks are set up.  They are in a square letter "C".  Does that make sense?  Well, it works awesome for the boys.  They can see everyone in the class when they are speaking. 

The night before there first full day here is what they had to say:

Cormac: Only one more sleep until A FULL DAY of school. I can't wait I am so excited.

Colin: I am pretty sure I am going to totally love first grade.

Ciaran: All we do at school is work, work, work.

The next day was the first "official" day of school.  I was a little nervous about getting the boys up and out by 8am since we haven't done that all Summer.  The morning went really well.  I made a list for the mornings to make things go easier.  Everyone knows what they need to do before we leave.  (Eat breakfast, clear dishes, get hearing aids, get FM hooks etc)  This seems to be working for us.

We were out the door and off after a few pictures.  They were very excited to see their friends.  They were hugging lots of people.  The boys will continue to be in the same class this year.  Their seats are not near each other.  For now, this works for all of us. 

When I went to pick them up later here is what they had to say:

Ciaran: I loved it so much I don't want to leave.

Colin:  I thought Kindergarten was fun but first grade is even more fun

Cormac:  It was the best day ever.  I love school.

Sounds like a big success to me.

Their teacher used the FM all day with no issues.  They handed it off to the computer teacher with no issues.  The boys said it was up and running perfect all day.  Huge relief.  Their teacher of the deaf was changed this year.  Their new teacher is someone from Summit Speech school and she actually worked with Cormac when he was three years old and attended the school there for 8 weeks after he aged out of early intervention.  We are so lucky to have her again.  She has already been to the school and spoke with their teacher, has their schedules and is setting the date for the inservice.  I am so thrilled everything is set up and running so smoothly.

A few of the highlights for the boys"
1.  They each have a own locker in the hallway. (they share with two other kids)
2.  They no longer eat lunch in their classroom.  They walk to the cafeteria and eat.
3.  They love sitting in desks and not at tables.
4.  Colin loves he is "surrounded by girls".  (He has a girl on either side of him)
5.  Ciaran was so excited because his good friend has the same new shoes as him.

Lots of mixed emotions about them being in 1st grade. Honestly, their excitement and energy for school just makes me happy. Going to pick them up and the reaction I get is priceless. I know it won't last forever but man, do I love those running hugs/tackles they do.

Seeing them on the playground with their friends all just running and playing you forget it was no easy journey to get there. That is the thing...you actually forget for a few moments. You realize your kids are just like the other kids

Today when I went to pick them up their enthusiasm was still the same.  They had a great second day.  One of the other mothers from the class was in the class the first two mornings assisting the teacher.  She told me this afternoon "the boys are so good in class."  They listen to the teacher, they are very quiet and just so well behaved.  I asked few questions and she said "no, really, they are just so so good and you have nothing to worry about"  It completely made my day.  I know the transition from Kindergarten to first grade can be difficult.  Kindergarten is much more laid back.  In first grade they don't mess around.  I also purposely put them in the class with her very structured and organized teacher who is just great.

Calleigh started school today. I can't post about it tonight but I will. I think she deserves her own post for such a big milestone :)
                                                  
Here are some pictures.  They are looking so grown up and while I love seeing them flourish  I can't seem to feel a little sad how quickly it goes by.

                                                                       Ciaran
                                                                       Colin
                                                                    Cormac


 
Here they are from a year ago on their first day of Kindergarten!  Ciaran looks the most different to me.
 



No comments: