Triplet Princes and a Princess

Triplet Princes and a Princess

Our journey to hearing with Cormac while living our life with triplet boys and a baby girl.







Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Ten on Tuesday

I seem to be neglecting my blog a little lately.  You would think now with all the kids in school I would have more time but it hasn't happened yet.  Calleigh isn't gone all day so it's not like a I have 8 hours a day to myself.  We have had lots of big changes this year.  Luckily, we have made the transition to first grade pretty smooth.  The boys are still learning first grade is not Kindergarten.  There are more rules to follow and serious learning going on.  It has been an adjustment for them.  A few bumps in the road but I am happy to report they have been three "shining stars"  for the last two weeks.  (They get a shining star sticker at the end of the day.)  They are so proud to run out and show me their star stickers.

Ok, let's get to the Ten on Tuesday:

1.  Calleigh continues to struggle with the school drop off.  Today I was late (on purpose) and it went a bit better.  I think I will be running late every day.  Just saying....

2.  Ciaran has struggled with his reading since we started trying to learn.  He gets so frustrated and lacks confidence.  Well, I am happy to report it has finally clicked.  He is doing amazing and is no longer struggling.  He is totally getting it and is right where he needs to be.  His confidence is up and he loves to come home and read me his books from school. 

3.  Colin is fully reading.  He has been reading since the Summer but he doesn't like to read to us to show us his abilities.  I feel like I can breathe a sigh of relief for getting past the reading hurdle. 

4.  Calleigh has made huge leaps in speaking.  She really talks all the time now.  She still gets frustrated sometimes because I think she forgets she can talk.  She is stringing 3, 4 and 5 words together.  "I wear pink tutu"  "I got Mommy's bed"  "Where Daddy go?"  "I want milk please"  I a very pleased.

5.  We are still waiting on the MRI for Calleigh.  With three doctors asking for the MRI (ENT, Neurologist and Endocrinologist) it was tough to get all the scrips to the right place.  We are waiting on insurance approval.  Columbia also has a wait for an MRI.  I am hoping it's not too long.  I asked to be put on the cancellation list so we can go at any time.  The only problem with that is Calleigh has to have anesthesia for the MRI and she can't eat before anesthesia.

6.  Calleigh started private Occupational Therapy at a great center.  She has gone a few times and they are working primarily on her balance issues.  She is doing obstacle courses, climbing, tumbling.  You name it and they are doing it.  I am so pleased I found a place who truly understands her.

7.  The boys teacher of the deaf is great (anyone we have had from Summit has been amazing).  She sees the boys (Cormac and Ciaran) weekly.  She rotates their schedule so she sees them at different times.  It is working great.  She was surprised at how well the boys did in gym with no FM.  She couldn't believe how well they listened and were able to follow directions.  She also said she got to see another side of Cormac.  Normally, "he is so serious and focused in class" but on the playground "he was quite silly and giggling and playing" 

8.  I continue to be thrilled with our boys school.  I know many people think Parochial school is not possible for their children with hearing loss.  I plan on writing an entire post about it this week.  I am not saying it's easy and all schools will be the same but we are having a great experience. 

9.  Fall has arrived.  While I love fall and all things fall (apple picking, pumpkin picking, hay rides, farm trips, Halloween) it seems like someone just turned a switch and shut off Summer.  And I LOVE LOVE LOVE Summer. 

10.  Colin has his first surf lesson.  The day he went it was cold and raining and the ocean was really rough.  I was thinking the instructor might tell me it was too rough for him to go in but he didn't.  Colin had never been on a surf board before.  He taught himself to surf on a boogey board which is totally different.  The first wave he took in he rode in on his knees.  The second wave he caught he stood all the way up and rode it all the way to shore!  Not to shabby for a six year old.  He has incredible balance and looks like a natural on the board.  Of course, I missed taking video of him surfing but I took some pictures.

Here is the ocean.






No comments: