Triplet Princes and a Princess

Triplet Princes and a Princess

Our journey to hearing with Cormac while living our life with triplet boys and a baby girl.







Monday, December 17, 2007

"The Lord smiled on you three times...."

This comment was made to me yesterday by my UPS man as he delivered boxes in triplicate for Christmas. I don't think anyone could have put it better. I honestly agree with him and just loved that he said something so thoughtful.

His nice comment got me thinking about all the comments I have received since having triplets. I should have just printed out cards to hand to people with the answers to the questions I KNEW were coming. Most people ask the same questions over and over. For some reason strangers feel the need to make comments to you all day long whenever you leave the house. Now, I get it. Most people don't see triplets that often. I usually am pretty good about it. But when a ten minute walk turns into an hour it starts to get annoying. I just need to get home and not answer a million quesitons on some days. Most people are nice but not always.

I have had a ton of nice comments but also a ton of negative comments. "The Lord smiled on you three times" is up there with the nicest comments. The worst comment I ever received was from a woman working at the beach. She started off by saying she had so much "pity" for me. I didn't even realize she was talking to me because at that moment my sons were all smiling away in their stroller looking forward to playing in the sand. I told her "I don't need your pity. I am so lucky to have my family." She followed up by saying: "If I were you I would have committed suicide". And SHE WAS NOT JOKING. She told me she had two sons and they were too much. I answered her by saying I am sorry you feel that way about your family but I love my boys and would never change it.

If you have nothing nice to say why interrupt my day to share it? If you think my hands are full then why do you feel the need to block my way while I am grocery shopping with three babies in tow? Just keep walking.

I often get asked what is it like to have triplets? I never have a good answer. To me, it is normal. I know nothing else and want nothing else. Do I think people with one baby have it easier? Maybe, maybe not. I really never compare. (Well, maybe when I just want to "run" out of the house. Six socks, six shoes, six mittens, 3 hats later. There is no such thing as a really quick exit!!)

I can't tell you how many people say the could "never do it". I am not sure exactly what "it" is. But to me all I am doing is being a mommy. Something I always wanted and knew I would do. Did I think I would have triplets? Nope. Am I happy I have triplets? YEP! I wouldn't change it for the world.

Just rambling today.

No comments: