Triplet Princes and a Princess

Triplet Princes and a Princess

Our journey to hearing with Cormac while living our life with triplet boys and a baby girl.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

What a day....

My day started by getting all the kids up, fed, dressed and to my Mom's house by 9am so I could get into NYC with Cormac for his mapping. (Remember two weeks ago he wouldn't get a map?) I made it to the city at exactly 10:30am for his appointment. He was a rock star and did awesome. He happily went along with his mapping even with a different audiologist and assistant. He was totally cute too.

I leave the city and head back to pick up the kids at my Mom's house. I scheduled an appointment for Calleigh at the pediatrician. Tuesday night she had a slight fever (not even 100). She didn't have any other symptoms. Wednesday she was very cranky most of the day and continued with a low fever. Wednesday evening her fever was a little higher. The highest was 101 but with tylenol it went down. I decided she needed to see the pediatrian and make sure she didn't have something else going on.

We go to the doctor at 2pm. They took us in and the doctor had finished her exam. No ear infection, rapid strep was negative. She had a bit of a red throat so I was to continue tylenol if she had a fever and keep an eye on her. Bring her back if anything changed or the fever continued. The doctor left the room. Calleigh was in my arms. I was waiting for him to come back to give me a script (for a cream for diaper rash). She looked like she wanted to go to sleep. Her head was resting in the crook of my arm. All of a sudden I just knew something was wrong. She went limp, her eyes rolled in her head and she was blue/gray. I yelled for the doctor who came running in.

They brought in the Oxygen but it wasn't needed. ( I thought maybe he should have given it to me at that point). He was listening to her heart and lungs and he said she was OK and would come around. I thought at this point she was literally dying. She looked that bad. I am NOT an alarmist. I have SEEN and lived through lots with my kids already. I have SEEN Calleigh not breathing at 8 weeks old and given her rescue breaths. I have seen her stop breathing in the hospital after her colostomy surgery and watched them bring her back. I was pretty sure this was the same thing.

It took her a long time to come around. It was a slow process. She was in a deep sleep for a while. She was very groggy. My pediatrican wanted us to go to the hospital to get bloodwork and cultures. With her medical history he doesn't ever like to take any chances.

He called Frank and asked him to come meet us at the office. (Frank is on strike so he was home which worked out. About the only good thing about the strike) Luckily, my Mom was around and she came up to stay with the boys. We headed to the ER and got there around 3. The ER was ridiculous. It was so busy. It was 5:30 before they even took the blood and urine samples. (Horrible experience. The poor girl has not veins) We stumped the entire staff with her medical history because no one knew what Duane Syndrome was and we had to tell them. (It wasn't critical to her care so I wasn't upset).

After many hours the results were in and they couldn't find anything. All tests came back negative. They are assuming it was a Febrile seizure. She really never had a high fever but it went from 99 to 102 in a very short amount of time. She never actually seized. She just went limp so it seems weird.

We finally got home about 8:45pm. (yep, I was out of the house for 12 hours and never had food or a drink!) Calleigh is sleeping in her crib. I am afraid to leave her alone. The doctors assured my they are harmless. My doctor told me three times. If it happens again she will come out of it. He kept reminding me he did NOTHING and she was ok. That is easier said than done. And I am not a doctor. He also said if I was scared to always call 911 and have them come. We follow up with him tomorrow morning.

My heart breaks for Calleigh. She just cant seem to catch a break. She is the sweetest girl ever. Why does she have to go through so much? She just started walking this week. She looks like a drunken sailor but she is walking. She worked so hard and now this?

1 comment:

Molly said...

Much love to you and Calleigh