Triplet Princes and a Princess

Triplet Princes and a Princess

Our journey to hearing with Cormac while living our life with triplet boys and a baby girl.







Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Could it really be?










KINDERGARTEN!!!! Yep. The time arrived. My babies are now full time students. It's like I know it's real but can't believe this day has come. It seems the last five years have flown by but have taken forever. Does that make sense? I guess the days are long but the years are short.

The unexpected move sort of threw a monkey wrench into our long thought out plan of Kindergarten. It sent me into a frenzy. We are not just a family that shows up in your school. We are first triplets. Can they fit all three in one class? Will they try and force me to break them up? I had this all worked out at their original school. Oh, and let's not forget...two IEP's. So we don't just blend in when we arrive. THere are going to be some delays in getting services started but luckily I have possession of an FM system so Cormac was able to use it today with no issues. His teacher was totally awesome and had no problem using it even though it's not required since his IEP is not finalized. Ciaran will have to wait because we don't have the shoes for his hearing aids yet. They should be paid for by the county who is responsible for his IEP. He is just starting the evaluation process since he is newly diagnosed with hearing loss.

Nothing is simple. Our day to day lives aren't really different than anyone else but trust me, nothing is simple when it comes to school. Being in private school complicates matters more than being in public school. We made the choice to do private school and feel strongly we want our children to attend private school. So the added pressure is self inflicted :)

It all about your resources. Having Summit Speech School as a constant and consistent support system is priceless. Their knowledge and experience cannot be matched by anyone else. I feel truly blessed to have so much love and support from them. Our new principal is an amazing man. He not only welcomed our family into his school but he rearranged other students so my three could be together. He has already made the calls necessary and has promised to rearrange his schedule to be available to attend any and all meetings with the county. That is not required of him.

Hours of phone calls, countless time organizing folders and reports has seemed to pay off. It looks like we will be able to get the services required. It is not set in stone yet but things are looking good. My best advice to any parent is to be prepared and educated. A well educated parent is a districs worse nightmare. Know your rights, understand your rights, know what you want and WHY you want it and have the reports from people WHO KNOW YOUR CHILD ready and waiting.

Ok, enough of all the boring details. Let's get to the cuteness of Kindergarten. Their class was adorable. Their teacher was sweet as can be. They went in to school with no problem. Hung up their backpacks and joined the class on the rug. They signed "I love you" to me and that was it. I was better than I thought. Seeing them so happy made it much easier. I only cried for a second after we left.

They came out of school just as happy. They were very excited to see me and Calleigh. They came out telling me all kinds of stories. Colin said he made a new friend named Ryan. Ciaran said he made friends with a girl but he forgot her name and Cormac said his girlfriend is Mary. They attended music class and thought it was awesome. They were teaching me what they learned. I just love how they love to learn. Their brains just absorb everything. It was a great day for them. Such a milestone for our family. Seems like yesterday they were born. I will cherish the years I stayed home with them. It's kind of scary to hand your children off to someone else for so much time.

We finished the day with soccer practice. The boys were asleep before their heads hit the pillows. All day at school and soccer sure must be tiring!

No comments: