Triplet Princes and a Princess

Triplet Princes and a Princess

Our journey to hearing with Cormac while living our life with triplet boys and a baby girl.







Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lent

The season on Lent is here and began on Ash Wednesday.  I have been thinking of things to "give up" for forty days and really couldn't think of anything. (Well, I guess, Facebook! ) On Tuesday I went to a meeting at the boys' school about staying connected with your children in an overly connected world.  The woman speaking talked about some great points.  She also suggested instead of giving something up to add something to your day.  I think this will be a concept the kids can better understand.  Since they really have no concept of how long 40 days is it would be difficult for them to give something up.

Here is what we I have decided.

  We will start saying Grace before all our dinners.  Not just our holiday dinners but our nightly dinners.  We did this for the first time last night.  The boys all know their prayers so it was nice. I also think it sort of calmed everyone down a little before dinner.

We normally read every day.  But we are going to add another 20 minutes a day to reading together.  I went to the library today and got some new books to start.

We are going to spend one day a week "unconnected" as a family.  There will be no TV in the evening.  There will be no phone calls for me or Frank.  No computer for me while the kids are awake.  We will spend our time playing games or reading or talking with no distractions.  Most night we don't have the TV on until the very end of the day but I am guilty of being on the computer or phone.  This is more of a change for me and Frank than for the kids. 

So, that is our plan and we are sticking to it! 

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I like it! I would love a day where we are disconnected. Just a day would be great!