Triplet Princes and a Princess

Triplet Princes and a Princess

Our journey to hearing with Cormac while living our life with triplet boys and a baby girl.







Sunday, April 3, 2011

Moonstone

Here is a picture of what your cochlea looks like.



This is the part of the ear not functioning correctly causing Cormac's profound deafness and Ciaran's moderate hearing loss. For Cormac, none of the hair cells work at any range. For Ciaran, his is fine in the low and high frequencies but not working in the mid frequencies. So, this tiny little spiral in our ears is what is causing all the problems.

About a month ago I was in an Irish store buying some gear for St Patrick's Day. I saw a necklace that caught my eye. It instantly reminded me of a Cochlea.



I asked to take a look at the necklace. The sales woman handed me the necklace and it said the stone in the middle was a moonstone. There was a little card explaining a moonstone. "Moonstone is said to be linked with the moon and attuned to the moon's phases. A protector for those on new beginnings and journeys." It brought tears to my eyes because I thought it was so strange to find something like this so randomly that really meant so much. We always refer to Cormac getting his implants as his "journey to hearing and sound".

But now as I think about it I think this necklace is about Ciaran. We have been travelling Cormac's journey for years. Ciaran's diagnosis is our new journey. Maybe someone knew I would need some guidance or support along this new journey. It could also be about both of their journeys.

Whatever the purpose I bought the necklace and I feel it is so symbolic of our lives.

No comments: