Triplet Princes and a Princess

Triplet Princes and a Princess

Our journey to hearing with Cormac while living our life with triplet boys and a baby girl.







Monday, January 28, 2008

Cochlear Implants are Barbaric?????

Someone sent me a link to an editorial in a newspaper in Michigan. Basically, the author states "I believe cochlear implants are barbaric, and should never be performed in any child, regardless of their age". This person is deaf and feels parents of deaf children should not make this decision for their child. Well, that is what a parent does for their children. I am so irritated by the idea I have done something wrong to my child because I chose to give him every opportunity to live a happy, healthy and HEARING life. Why should I not give my son an opportunity to hear my voice and all the voices of people who love him? Why should I limit who can talk to my child by those who choose to learn sign language? I am not deaf, I do not know another deaf person. I don't even know where I would find a "deaf community" for Cormac to be part of at this time. I know other deaf children but they also have Cochlear Implants. I don't think I had to "fix" Cormac. I think as a responsible parent I am giving him a chance at a life he would not have had if he didn't receive an implant. These are the times we live in. If your child needed glasses would you tell them "you were born this way and you should live your life not being able to see clearly?

I have no doubt Cormac would be successful in life, implant or not. If he chooses to become part of the deaf community. I will support him. Somehow, I don't see him turning 18 and ripping off his implant and telling me I ruined his life. If we waited for him to make the choice he would be past the point of learning to speak. If we waited and he said to me years later "why didn't you do this?" I would not be able to live with myself. He can always take his implant off but we could never go back and teach him what he is learning now as an adult.

I feel no need to reach out to the Deaf Community. I get the impression they are not seeking us out either. Yes, my son is Deaf and he always will be. That said, he hears and he speaks. He also knows sign language. So, I think he is one well rounded not even two year old.

To the writer of the editorial: Until you walk in my shoes and until you meet my son, don't tell me I am a Barbarian. You must face the facts the Deaf community is changing. You can either bash your new members or embrace them. If you choose to bash them, well you will see your community diminish further.

Ok, I am done. But this really pissed me off.

No comments: