Triplet Princes and a Princess

Triplet Princes and a Princess

Our journey to hearing with Cormac while living our life with triplet boys and a baby girl.







Thursday, April 17, 2008

Triplet Talk

With so much thought going into language in this household I wonder if the triplets actually talk their own language or do they just repeat incorrect words since they are hearing them from each other?? Sometimes they say things to each other that to me might as well be Chinese. They will look at each other and laugh like they understand this language. I am not sure they are really communicating. They all have certain words they say incorrectly. I understand these words because I spend all day with them. Does that mean I speak triplet language? I don't think so. I just know "bopel" means open. I know "uns" means sun. I know "mitmee" means mittens. They can all say the correct words instead of these nonsense words but they continue to say the nonsense words. I never say them back but repeat the correct word they should be saying. I figure some day they will start using the correct word, right?

Cormac had an amazing session with Joan today. He seemed like he was in "show off" mode. He said so many words. Words I had never heard him say before. He was even saying phrases like "want that" "your turn" and "cut celery" (we made ants on a log as an activity) I see him make this amazing strides and it just amazes me. I worry so much because I know he needs more one on one time with me to practice but it is just close to impossible. Will I fail him in the long run? Will all this be for nothing because I am not doing my share? This is what goes through my head daily. I try to make every experience of every day a learning to listen experience. It is not an easy task. Sometimes you just want to make eggs and feed them. Not take 15 minutes to describe every little step. "mommy is cracking the egg" Mommy is stirring the eggs" Mommy is pouring the eggs in to the pot. The pot is on the stove. I don't think anyone realizes that this is how our everyday life has to be. It is exhausting on some days. I am not complaining, trust me. I see the results and he is just flourishing. But the self doubt is still there. Am I smart enough to do this? Am I capable? These thoughts also ran through my head the entire time I was pregnant. How can I take care of three babies? How will I feed them? Dress them? Take the out? Well, two years later it all is still well. I try to tell myself it will be the same for Cormac. I am doing everything to the best of my ability and will continue until I no longer have to.

Not sure why I am feeling like this today. But Oh well... Ciaran is crying. Gotta go. Nap time is over!

No comments: